The Nine Principles of Civility
• Pay Attention – Be aware of others and sensitive to the immediate context of actions.
• Listen Closely – Understand other points of view.
• Be Inclusive – Welcome all; don't exclude anyone.
• Don't Gossip – Remind others of the importance of this practice.
• Show Respect – Honor others (especially in disagreement).
• Be Agreeable – Find opportunities to agree.
• Apologize sincerely – Repair damaged relationships.
• Give Constructive Comments, Suggestions and Feedback – No personal attacks (focus on issues).
• Accept Responsibility – Don't shift blame. Share disagreements publicly.
connect with us:
Click to download the Speak Your Peace business cards and keep civility close at hand!